Leave a comment
November 15, 2017 by Virginia
- 1/2 cup Vegan Butter
- 1 cup coconut milk (I use plain, canned coconut milk)
- 2 cups flour, plus extra for dusting
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Agave Syrup (optional) for topping the biscuits
- Measure out your cup of coconut milk. If it’s separated at all, whisk quickly to re-incorporate. Place coconut milk in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt.
- Add 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter to your flour mixture. Use your hands or a biscuit cutter to cut the coconut oil into the flour mixture (just like you would with regular butter-based biscuits!) until the mixture is coarse and you have small pieces of coconut oil remaining.
- Add coconut milk to flour mixture and stir until everything is combined. The dough shouldn’t be completely smooth – we want to keep lots of coconut oil pieces in there so the biscuits will bake up and be nice and flaky.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. If the dough is too sticky, gently fold a tablespoon or two of flour into it until it’s easier to work with. I like to gently fold my dough over on itself several times, so I have lots of coconut oil layers working for maximum flakiness. Remember to work quickly with this biscuit dough, though – don’t let the heat from your hands melt the coconut oil!
- Roll dough to about 3/4″ thickness and cut biscuit rounds with a 2″ biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuit rounds on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Let biscuits cool for 2-3 minutes, then serve with a drizzle of honey (optional).