Leave a comment
November 11, 2017 by Virginia
- 1/2 stick vegan butter, melted, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup Almond milk
- 2 cups fresh (or frozen) blackberries
- Coconut Whipped cream* and/or dairy-free ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 3-quart baking dish with butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 1 cup sugar with the flour and almond milk.
- Whisk in the melted vegan butter.
- Rinse the blackberries and pat them dry. Pour the batter into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the blackberries evenly over the top of the batter. Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over the blackberries.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 1 hour.
- When 10 minutes of the cooking time remains, sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over the top.
- Top with coconut whipped cream or dairy-free ice cream . . . or both!
To create the perfect coconut whipped cream:
Refrigerate a can of coconut milk, preferably the THAI KITCHEN brand- that one works best!
As the coconut milk chills, portions of it will harden, this is what we will be using for our whipped cream. The amount of chill time is at least 4 hours. I like to stick it in the refrigerator overnight DO NOT place in freezer, as everything will harden, and placing the entire can in our mixture will ruin our whipped cream and turn it into more of a soup- we definitely don’t want that.
As a preference, I like to chill my whisk and metal bowl in the freezer to keep the temperature down as I whisk. I usually place both the coconut milk can in the fridge, and whipping utensils in the freezer the night before so the next day, it will all be handy when the whipped cream craving comes in!
Coconut Whipped Cream
- Chilled Hardened Coconut Milk chunks formed at top of Can
- 1-2 Cups (or to taste-whatever satisfies your sweet tooth) of Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Toss all ingredients into chilled bowl.
- With hand mixer or a stand-mixer (with chilled whisks), whip all ingredients at full power for less than 1 minute.
- If parts of the coconut chunks are still a bit lumpy, keep whipping until smooth.
- Pour over your favorite desserts, and enjoy!