February 10, 2017 by Virginia
While I hate receiving and going out and buying gifts for Valentine’s Day, there’s one thing about this holiday I enjoy -CAKE! Nothing says ‘Valentine’s Day’ like a chocolate dessert!
…and this is just the perfect Recipe to make to share with your loved one (although you might want it all for yourself!).
The best gift is one that you know someone spent a lot of time and effort making for you, and that’s precisely what makes baking so special to me!
- · 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- · 1/2 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- · 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- · 1 teaspoon baking soda
- · 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- · 1/2 teaspoon salt
- · 1 cup warm coffee
- · 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- · 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- · small handful of chocolate chunks and/or cocoa nibs (optional)
- Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch bundt pan with vegetable shortening and dust with cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together coffee, oil, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients, all at once to the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Stir in chocolate chunks and cocoa nibs, if using.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. The batter will be relatively thick. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Cake will last, well wrapped at room temperature, for up to 3 days.
Make your plate Special! Add some whipped Coconut cream and berries to your slice to add more sweetness! …or make your own chocolate sauce to top your slice with! You’re Valentine is sure to enjoy it!
Have you tried this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know how you liked it!