November 21, 2016 by Virginia
What are you thankful for? I’m thankful that I am able to make and share these recipes and live a cruelty free lifestyle. You may not realize this (many people don’t), but letting go of products from the meat and dairy industry really help the environment. So why not do something good this holiday season for our planet? I mean it is the only one we live in… so why not take care of it???
Hot Chocolate is one of the things that you simply cannot skip when fall/winter seasons roll in. How do we make hot cocoa cruelty-free? check out this modified recipe from minimalist baker and enjoy the sweet warmness of this cozy drink!
- 2 cups Almond milk*
- 5 ounces (~1 cup) dairy free dark chocolate, chopped (70% cacao is best)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (more or less, depending on preferred spice)
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1-2 Tbsp sugar (optional)
- Coconut whipped cream* for topping
- Vegan Marshmallows* for topping
- Add almond milk to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add dark chocolate and whisk to combine.
- Add spices and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Once chocolate is completely melted, remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. Taste and adjust flavors as needed, adding sugar or sweetener of choice if not sweet enough. Add more cayenne for a kick.
- To serve, top with vegan Marshmallows, coconut whipped cream, a dusting of cocoa or cacao powder (optional), and any additional spices and/or chocolate desired.
- Store leftover drinking chocolate covered in the refrigerator for up to a few days. Freeze for longer term storage, though best when fresh.
Almond Milk – Feel free to use cashew, soy or hemp milk to substitute
Coconut Whipped Cream – to make, refrigerate a can of coconut milk for a few hours or until the cream separates from liquid. Then scoop out cream onto a bowl and whip with a hand mixer for a minute or two, adding vanilla and powdered sugar to taste.
Vegan Marshmallows- I like the Dandies brand -super yummy! (and animal hooves/bones/cartilages are excluded).